National Survivors Month

Sadly, it is becoming more and more common for women to diagnosed with a form of cancer.  Luckily, more women are becoming aware of the symptoms and battling against it. Cysters have been working closely with Womb Cancer Support UK and raising vital awareness of Womb Cancer.
Womb Cancer is the most common gynae cancer, and according to Cancer Research UK 9,324 women were diagnosed with womb cancer in 2014 alone. 2,166 of these died as result, within the same year.

Most cases occur in women over 50, however more and more women are being diagnosed at a younger age, some as young as 20. There is very little awareness of this Cancer.
Despite it being the most common gynae cancer and the 4th most common cancer in women, (breast, bowl and lungs being the top 3), there is little research into this type of cancer, so we are not able to accurately confirm why more and more younger women are being effected. Obesity is also a factor within this diagnosis, with 41% of women with Womb Cancer struggling with obesity. But this still doesn’t explain the other 59%. Womb Cancer is also known as uterine cancer and endometrial cancer.

Symptoms
Abnormal vaginal bleeding is the most common symptom of womb cancer. Especially if you have been through menopause. If you have not yet been through the menopause, unusual bleeding may include bleeding between your periods. You should see your GP as soon as possible if you experience any unusual vaginal bleeding. While it’s unlikely to be caused by womb cancer, it’s best to be sure.

The bleeding maybe light bleeding accompanied by a watery discharge, which may get heavier over time.

In women who haven’t been through the menopause, unusual vaginal bleeding may consist of:
Heavy Periods
Bleeding in between periods

Less common symptoms include pain in the lower abdomen (tummy) and pain during sex.

If the womb cancer reaches a more advanced stage, it may cause additional symptoms. These include:
pain in the back, legs, or pelvis
loss of appetite
tiredness
nausea

. The bleeding may be the result of several other health conditions, such as:
Endometriosis – where tissue that behaves like the lining of the womb is found on the outside of the womb
Fibroids– non-cancerous growths that can develop inside the uterus
A Polyps in the womb lining
Other types of gynaecological cancer can also cause unusual vaginal bleeding.

Kaz Molloy from Womb Cancer Support UK offered this this piece of advice for those battling against this condition,  “Being diagnosed with cancer changes your life in so many ways. You can never prepare yourself for a cancer diagnosis but how you respond to it will make all the difference. If you can use the experience for good then do so. Seek out those people who can help you get through this. It is a journey that you do not have to go on alone.” You can find out more about her journey here http://wombcancersupportuk.weebly.com/

If you find yourself in need of support and guidance through this, feel free to join our Private Facebook group.

Facebook: Cysters – Support and Awareness Group (ask to join our private Cysters Chat Group!) https://www.facebook.com/groups/621272884742968/

Twitter: @cystersbham
LinkedIn: Cysters – Support and Awareness Group
Website: www.cysters.co.uk
Or have your say during our Twitter chat, every Tuesday from 7 – 8pm #CystersChat.

And don’t forget, you are beautiful no matter what illness you are suffering.

Love your Cyster, Neelam xx